From FOXNews.com - The Internet could soon be made obsolete. The scientists who pioneered it have now built a lightning-fast replacement capable of downloading entire feature films within seconds. At speeds about 10,000 times faster than a typical broadband connection, “the grid” will be able to send the entire Rolling Stones back catalogue from Britain to Japan in less than two seconds.
The latest spin-off from Cern, the particle physics centre that created the web, the grid could also provide the kind of power needed to transmit holographic images; allow instant online gaming with hundreds of thousands of players; and offer high-definition video telephony for the price of a local call.
This is the future being previewed and created for us, right in front of our eyes. Just listen to Professor Tony Doyle, technical director of the grid project, as he explains some of it's potential - “Holographic video conferencing is not that far away. Online gaming could evolve to include many thousands of people, and social networking could become the main way we communicate. The history of the internet shows you cannot predict its real impacts but we know they will be huge.”
Who knows when this is going to actually be a reality, but it seems like these advancements happen sooner than the people creating them even anticipate. All I know is that when I first started grad school about 2 and a half years ago, we were shown a video that introduced the specific touch screen technology, that is now seen on the iphone. This idea was portrayed like it was to be available in 5 years, while it actually only took a year and a half. Science damn you! Anyway, check out the link to the full article - http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,347212,00.html
You Are Reading
- ► 2011 (117)
- ► 2010 (133)
- ► 2009 (149)
04/06 - 04/13
- The 2nd Worst Basketball Player Ever
- Classic Music Videos - "Who Am I (What's My Name)"...
- Rusty (Richard Christy) calls NY1 about gas odor.
- NBA TV Top 10: April 10th
- Viral Video of the Day (4/11/08)
- My Very Own Top 10 Directors List
- Artie Lange walks off the Howard Stern Show
- Yak Ballz - Dirt Empire Live at Paid Dues
- 'The Grid' Could Soon Make the Internet Obsolete
- Classic Music Videos - "Nothing Else Matters" by M...
- NBA TV Top 10: April 9th
- Viral Video of the Day (4/10/08)
- DamNation w/ The Reverend Bob Levy
- NBA TV Top 10: April 8
- Classic Music Video - "Paradise City" by Guns N Ro...
- Viral Video of the Day (4/9/08)
- A Man Among Cats
- Classic Music Videos - "Hypnotize" by Notorious B....
- Patrick Ewing Jr. Behind-the-back Dunk
- Guy Who Has No Idea About Baseball Calls The Game
- Star Freshmen and the NBA Draft
- Exclusive Interview by Format Magazine!
- Viral Video of the Day (4/8/08)
- Savage Speaks: Chris Kanyon
- Kansas Rallies Past Memphis - NCAA March Madness 2...
- Peter Toh - Brand New Start
- Basketball in the Face Posted @ on205th.com
- The Top 10 Hottest Females Of All Epochs
- Classic Music Videos - "Creep" by Radiohead
- NBA TV Top 10: April 6
- Viral Video of the Day (4/7/08)
- My Bad
- ▼ 04/06 - 04/13 (32)
- ► 2007 (121)
- A Cat's Thoughts (17)
- A Dog's Thoughts (21)
- Adam Schleichkorn (659)
- Barry the Dog (78)
- Dan Taft (77)
- DT (44)
- Galz (70)
- Galz Breaks Records (47)
- Garrett Steinger (32)
- Hidden Track TV (602)
- James Catusco (50)
- Larry the Lizard (8)
- Lulu the Cat (18)
- Music (465)
- Mylo the Cat (224)
- Peter Toh (100)
- Press (21)
- Random Web Stuff (485)
- Station Softball Reality Show (25)
- Videos (1505)
- Worst Basketball Player Ever Series (37)